Monday, April 11, 2011

Reflections of a cake decorator

Cake decorating shows are my secret passion.  In fact, I record so many that my husband often marvels at how many there actually are on television!

I thoroughly enjoy watching the process of creating a cake from start to finish; of watching another artist hard at work on something about which they are passionate.  There is never a time when I am viewing a show that I don't feel the inevitable pull to get up and make a cake of my own.  My family benefits from this compulsion regularly and they actually encourage me to watch my shows so that I will get inspired to bake for them!  

This evening I was sitting with some quiet time to myself (unheard of, I know!) while my husband was out with our eldest at softball practice and our two youngest were next door playing with friends.  I was finally getting around to watching Food Network Challenge's "Last Cake Standing" (last season) and thoroughly enjoying the first episode.  

Their first challenge was to create a cake that tells the story of who they are.  The competitors - Michelle Bommarito, Bronwen Weber, James Roselle, Courtney Clark, Mary Maher, and Elissa Strauss - got to work on what I saw as essentially the story of their life, and I paused to ask myself what I would have done if I was one of them. 

The answer was simple:  a tall, ambitious cake with exquisite detail that represented my love of all things cake, perhaps with me in the forefront and my children avidly watching while my husband lending a hand as I worked on my creation.  The cake would definitely be colorful, vibrant, and fun, much as I see myself.  

And if taste were a judging criterion, it would taste out of this world!

Happy baking!
Christina

No comments:

Post a Comment