Saturday, May 14, 2011

Basic supply list for cake decorating

Sitting here, half asleep, sipping my coffee at 6:52 am this cloudy Saturday morning, it suddenly struck me that once again, I forgot to get a box to transport my latest cake! 

Grrr...

This has happened more often than I care to admit as of late.  I blame my darned allergies for clouding my ability to think clearly, but nonetheless, the forgetfulness must stop!  I have visited Sweet N Fancy (our local cake decorating supply store) so often this week, the wonderful ladies there don't even miss a beat when I come in. 

"Back again?" they greet me with a smile. 

Not good.

So as I sit here, I have decided to make a list of basic supplies that each cake we make requires so that maybe, just maybe, I won't forget so many things in the future.  Think of it as a master checklist, with room to customize it for specific projects.  (If my husband reads this, he will definitely tease me, as I am the queen of checklists and my talent/obsession has rubbed off on him!)

Basic Cake Decorating Project Checklist:

  • design/inspirations ideas and pictures
  • cake drum (AKA base board)
  • cardboard cake boards (for multiple layers)
  • cake box (for final transport)
  • ingredients for baking cake
  • cake pans
  • filling ingredients
  • butter cream (for filling, piping dams, and skim coating)
  • pastry bags (disposable and non-disposable)
  • scissors
  • ruler
  • decorating tips
  • spatulas
  • scraper/smoother
  • rolling pin(s)
  • sugar shaker (filled with confectioner's sugar)
  • fondant
  • gel paste(s)
  • fondant smoother
  • pastry wheel
  • support dowels (if stacking)
  • fondant tools & cutters
  • paint brushes
  • dusting powders
  • vodka
  • air brush machine

Since it is only 6:52 am, I may have forgotten something, but I am fairly certain that these are all of the basic things I haul out each and every time I work on any cake, so if you think of anything, be sure to drop us a line!

Happy baking!
Christina

2 comments:

  1. Cake baking is a wonderful hobby and joyfulness of creating a beautiful cake. Cake Baking Classes will definitely make the mind pleasure and stress-free. Using the good ingredients and perfect baking plan will convert into wow factor. Baking Classes in Chennai will make you learn step by step baking.

    ReplyDelete