Saturday, March 12, 2011

Cakes in the news: A Cake Fit for Royalty

My DVR is set for April 29th to record the royal wedding between Prince William and Kate Middleton.  I don't remember the wedding of his mother and father, Princess Diana and Prince Charles, but I do remember seeing photos, hearing talk about it, and following their life together as they had the boys, through their divorce, and as they built separate lives.

Prince William and Kate Middleton's official engagement photo.


As a little girl who dreamed of being a princess herself, the royal life was fascinating.  I remember being devastated when they announced their divorce and I recall vividly that I was babysitting a little girl named Madison on August 31, 1997 when Diana was killed in a tragic car accident.  Images of her young sons, left motherless, were so touching.  And of course, like any girl my age, I thought Prince William was dreamy.

Charles and Diana's engagement photo.


Now he is getting married and having his own fairy tale wedding to his long-time girlfriend who happens to be a regular girl (who says dreams can't come true?!??) and the wedding is just weeks away.  And of course, at this point in my life, married to my own dream guy and being a cake decorator too, I am interested in all of the usual things - flowers, dresses, etc. - but I am most especially interested in the cake.

Just yesterday it was revealed that chefs from the Welsh National Culinary Team have been hired to make the custom creation.  No theme has been shared, but rumors have it that harps, dragons and the national flag will be represented since Prince William and Kate will be settling in Wales, where he is stationed with the Royal Air Force.

Prince Charles and Princess Diana's official wedding cake (they were rumored to have had 27!) was supplied by Andrew Davidson of Classic Celebration Cakes as had been many royal wedding cakes before theirs, but William and Kate declined their services.  Charles and Di's cake had a traditional fruitcake center and the finished confection towered 6 feet high with five tiers.

Charles & Diana's cake

So since the details of the cake don't seem to be forthcoming, I will patiently wait until April 29th to see this cake fit for royalty.  Until then...

Happy baking!
Christina

No comments:

Post a Comment